The following covenant was handed out at book club on Thursday, January 21st.
Book Club Covenant
Welcome to the club! I personally want each of you to know that I value your participation and your unique contribution to this club! The purpose of this book club is to be an avenue for you and your peers to explore good books, discuss the larger themes and ideas contained within those books, and that you will also find encouragement, accountability and enjoyment through your participation. We will meet weekly, for the duration of the semester.
Members of the book club agree to the following:
- Commitment: I will continue to attend even if I don’t like the book we are reading at the time, and especially if I haven’t read for the week, because I can still gain something from listening to the discussion.
- Being Prepared: I will try my best to keep up with the reading assignments. If I am struggling, I will ask for help from my group or Mrs. Johnson.
- Being a Good Listener: I will show I am listening by looking at the person speaking, asking questions to better understand, and waiting to speak until the other person is finished.
- Being a Good Speaker: I will share my ideas and contribute to the conversation.
- Respect: I will respect other people’s ideas and build on those ideas to further the conversation. I will stay on topic and try not to distract the members of my group with unrelated topics or conversations.
- Accountable: I will be accountable to my peers, as well as to Mrs. Johnson, that I will try my best to stay on track with the reading and on task when in my group.
I have read the above covenant and agree to participate in accordance with these guidelines. Failure to respectfully adhere to the terms contained herein can result in my removal from the book club.
Student Signature Date